AN ABBREVIATED HISTORY OF KNOCKBRACKEN CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
(previously known as Spamount Congregational Church)
In 1869 a group of Godly men and women met in a hall in Dock Street off York Street where they agreed to rent a plot of ground on which they erected a church. A few years later in 1872 the Church occupied a site on the corner of North Queen Street and Spamount Street.
In 1900 the Church was invited to join the United Congregational Union and the Evangelical Union of Scotland. The Lord’s work in Spamount grew and prospered under the ministry of Rev W.J.Davey who served as minister from 1909 until 1954. A number of Godly ministers served the Church and its witness was respected by many people in the district, both Roman Catholic and Protestant.
The Church was destroyed by enemy action during the Second World War but services were held in the partly damaged halls at the back of the Church. Many Church families were evacuated to safer areas of Belfast during this time. In 1951 the Church was rebuilt on the same site.
In 1969 the Church celebrated its centenary marked with a service of praise and thanksgiving.
From 1970 onwards the Church faced a declining congregation due to the death of older members and the exodus of families to safer areas driven out by rioting and intimidation. A decision was made after much prayer and discussion to resite the Church to another area. And for 7 years the Church met and worshipped in Mountcollyer Mission Hall (kindly lent).Eventually in 1986 a site was purchased at Ballymaconaghy Road, Knockbracken. A temporary building was erected and a plaque was unveiled by Mrs Davey widow of Rev W.J.Davey. The work began on the present site in 1987.
Eventually the present Church building was erected and the foundation stone was laid on 20/04/91 by Rev H Rea. Rev Robin Little was the minister at the time and the church grew and prospered under his leadership and by the grace of God. In 2003 he resigned to take up another ministry with the Friends of Israel. The Church was without a Pastor for over 6 years. Much prayer during this time was made for a man of God’s choice to be our pastor and in September 2009 Rev Jim Lyons was inducted to the Pastorate.
In 2017 we celebrated 30 years on our current site at Knockbracken.
Our current pastor, Rev Calvin Coulter, joined us in 2019 with his service of Ordination and Induction taking place on 21st September 2019.